Saturday, May 8, 2010

Maoists call for end to strike.



Photo 1- The much heralded picture of me doing laundry.


Photo 2 – After the clouds have cleared the view down valley from my tent at EBC.

Photo 3 – Pumori (23,357’) peeking through the clouds.

I have now been at EBC or higher for 1 month and I want to thank everyone for their continued prayers for the team and I. “The prayers of a righteous man (woman, people) availeth much.” The good news is we just heard that the Maoists have actually called off their own strike. This will immediately help the people of Nepal return to a “normal” life. Food can begin to flow back into the capital, people can return to work and earn money for their families, and a plethora of other things that most of us take for granted. As for us at EBC the Maoists have left and are no longer a threat. This news coupled with a second day of sunshine has brought a renewed hope that our summit attempt can begin shortly.

So what does the jet stream say about this? Hold on, not so fast! The jet stream is still blowing at over 80 M.P.H. on the summit. These strong winds are expected to continue until at least the 16th. Although, this can change very quickly. I still remain patient that the weather will improve and soon I will drink the cold, thin, crisp air of 29,035’ A.S.L.

I want to also send out a special thank you to all of the moms out there. Happy Mother’s Day! I hope your special day is fun and relaxing. To the #1 mom out there, my wife, Diana. Alexander is blessed to have you as his mom and I am blessed to call you my wife. A special thank you to my mom, Cheryl. Your steadfastness and perseverance is amazing. Last but not least I thank Ruth, Diana’s mom. You’ve set a tremendous example of what a mom truly is. Happy Mother’s Day!

9 comments:

Diana said...

What an amazing testimony of God's faithfulness to His praying people! We serve a powerful God! SOOO much more powerful than the Maoists. He will take care of that jetstream soon too. In his time. :)
We love you!
Diana & Alexander

Joseph said...

How are you feeling? Thank God for allowing you to get this far. ;)

sincerely your nephew,
Joseph

Doug Whittier said...

Hello Ben,
Good to see you and to hear about what your going through, truly amazing..! I pray that God will continue to strengthen you spiritually and bodily for your up coming climb, simply amazing how you can travel so many miles and be so close, may God pour His strength on you when you need it..! Well from all of us enjoying from a distance, we're praying for you, God bless..!

Sister said...

I've now had two dreams that you were able to summit. I'm thinking my third dream will be "the charm" and I'll wake up to find that it came true.
Good news about the Maoists. Remain safe! Peace to the homeland, "G" to the funk.
Sister

Ruth said...

Thanks Ben for those kind words. I just pray that God will shine thru my example, and that it is a blessing to others.

Thanks again for the call. We are thankful for God's protection so many miles away. Stay focused, keep busy and keep your thoughts on our awesome God.
Love,
Ruth

Anonymous said...

Yay for sunshine! Before it just sounded like a typical Minnesota winter you were experiencing at Everest :) I'm still holding out hope to win your guess the summit contest and will be hearing in a few days that you've reached the top! (nothing wrong with hoping, right?) Our prayers continue for your safety, patience and savoring of every moment there.
--Heather Grover

The Doctor said...

Blessing's to you on Sunday, Ben. It is great to hear that the Maoist problem has gone away. God is good, all the time. Orale'! (you know what comes next ;-)

DW

Mom said...

Thanks, Ben for the Mother's Day wishes, kind words and the call. All mean more than I can say. I was blessed to celebrate my first Mother's Day 34 years ago and have been grateful to God for 2 wonderful children ever since.

"O Lord God of hosts, who is a strong Lord like unto thee? or to thy faithfulness round about thee? The heavens are thine, the earth also is thine: as for the world and the fullness thereof, thou has founded them." Praying that, as you continue to wait on God, you will saturate yourself with God's love, feast on His Word and that you continue to "enjoy God's creation from the top."

Much love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Ben, So here is my guess May 21st at 7:27 am. Hope Im right! Love all the updates my PC just got a new hard drive so it has been a while since I checked your blog. Technology!? Marcus