Wednesday, March 11, 2009

About this blog




Welcome to "A Climber's Dream". We all dream. We all dream differently. For 12 years now I have dreamed of climbing Mount Everest, the highest mountain in the world. God has blessed me in numerous ways throughout life and I have truly been able to travel, climb, and enjoy His creation ... from the top. Just not the top of Mount Everest.


I have been climbing now for almost 13 years and and I am grateful to say that I have tasted the bitterly cold air of 8,000 meters. On September 29, 2005 I stood on the summit of Cho Oyu, the sixth highest mountain in the world at 8,201 meters a.s.l. (26,907'). As I stood there gazing toward Mount Everest, just a mere 25 miles away, I couldn't help but wish I was standing "over there". I resolved that maybe now I had gained enough experience, through a 10 year climbing "apprenticeship", to someday scale to the lofty summit of Mount Everest. The dream persisted and partially came true in the pre-monsoon climbing season of 2007. I traveled to Tibet to scale Mount Everest, or Chomolungma as the Tibetans call her.


I am a Christian and I believe in the truth found within the Bible. I believe the Scriptures when in the book of Isaiah God said, "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."


You see, my thoughts were of Everest and my ways were of climbing as much and as often as I could. Many times to the detriment of several key relationships. One of those being my wife and her desire to start a family. Whilst on Everest I learned that my wife and I were no longer "just the two of us". We were quickly to be the three of us. My wife was pregnant with our first child and she was thrilled. Suddenly the Mount Everest climb became not as important and I could no longer focus on the task at hand. When scaling Chomolungma, she demands 110% committment. If, even for just a moment, your focus is not on the business of climbing, the icy cold slopes of the highest point on Earth may be your final resting place. Climbing Mount Everest in 2007 was not meant to be.


All of this brings me to the purpose of this blog. The desire to climb Mount Everest still lingers. With intensity! I am prayerfully considering returning to Mount Everest in the pre-monsoon season of 2010. This blog will chronicle the upcoming year. You will meet my wife Diana and our son Alexander. You will follow along as I train for the physical and mental demands of Mount Everest. You too will see the view from many mountain tops through my photographs. Perhaps this will lead you to dream and achieve what was formerly just a passing thought.

No comments: