Saturday, September 19, 2015
More of the same... snow
On Saturday, there was a small break in the weather, so the team climbed to Camp 1. They are expecting a large snow storm on the 21st, so they took down their tents at Camp 1 so they would not collapse with the snow.
I think the activity of climbing to Camp 1 was good for Ben. We are more than half way through this trip, so we are all counting the days until he comes home. But until then, we are praying for Ben's mental strength and ultimately, for his safety.
A fellow climber sent me this picture of Ben from Base Camp. I think he looks pretty dang goooood.
Thanks for the prayers, Diana
photo credit: Sandi Wilson
Thursday, September 17, 2015
More Weather Delays
We expected a call from Ben this morning, but didn't receive one. He sent a text last night that stated that is was snowing again. I am speculating here, but my guess is the weather prevented him from getting a signal to the satellite phone or he walked down to Sama Goen for something to do. He said there is a possibility they will be stuck at base camp another 7 days. He said he is "going stir crazy." Those who know Ben, know he likes to be active, so I know this is really hard for him.
Several other teams on the mountain are still working on the acclimation climbs to Camps 1 & 2. Since Ben's team was able to accomplish this before the bad weather came in, they are ahead, but trying to find things to do. I know the team's main focus is safety so they will continue to wait for the weather to clear and for the mountain to be safe for climbing before making a summit push.
He is enjoying getting to know other people on the mountain. One of those people is Russell Brice, the leader of the expedition that was filmed a few years ago for a series on the Discovery Channel. Nick Cienski who is a director for Under Armour is also climbing Manaslu, with another team. His wife is traveling with him. Ben found out they are Christians and has enjoyed some encouraging fellowship with them.
He did mention in his text that his back was hurting and stretching wasn't helping. Please pray for this. We are doing well at home. Annie told me yesterday she "misses Daddy" and asked if God missed him too. I assured her God did not miss Daddy because God is with Daddy all the time taking care of him so he can come home to us. We are thankful for the prayers.
Diana
Several other teams on the mountain are still working on the acclimation climbs to Camps 1 & 2. Since Ben's team was able to accomplish this before the bad weather came in, they are ahead, but trying to find things to do. I know the team's main focus is safety so they will continue to wait for the weather to clear and for the mountain to be safe for climbing before making a summit push.
He is enjoying getting to know other people on the mountain. One of those people is Russell Brice, the leader of the expedition that was filmed a few years ago for a series on the Discovery Channel. Nick Cienski who is a director for Under Armour is also climbing Manaslu, with another team. His wife is traveling with him. Ben found out they are Christians and has enjoyed some encouraging fellowship with them.
He did mention in his text that his back was hurting and stretching wasn't helping. Please pray for this. We are doing well at home. Annie told me yesterday she "misses Daddy" and asked if God missed him too. I assured her God did not miss Daddy because God is with Daddy all the time taking care of him so he can come home to us. We are thankful for the prayers.
Diana
Friday, September 11, 2015
Successful Camp 1 & 2 Rotation
First, let me say thank you to everyone that is following along and praying. I know my posts aren't as exciting as Ben's, but if they were, the stories would be made up. :) Ben does such a great job of writing so we can picture where he is.
The schedule I posted earlier this week was accelerated. He sent me a text on Thursday from Camp 2 saying there was a storm coming in so they bumped up their plans. In order to beat the storm, they skipped the rest day on Wednesday and climbed to Camp 1 and then on Thursday continued to Camp 2.
Ben called from Base Camp this morning and it was raining when we were talking. They are ready for a summit push, but they will use the next few bad weather days to rest and recuperate at Base Camp. The summit push will be 5 days, round trip. I don't know when that will start because it will be based on the weather but I know Ben is anxious and ready.
Please continue to pray for mental strength over the next few rest days, for wisdom on when to proceed and for favorable conditions on the mountain for the summit push. Thank you, Diana.
The schedule I posted earlier this week was accelerated. He sent me a text on Thursday from Camp 2 saying there was a storm coming in so they bumped up their plans. In order to beat the storm, they skipped the rest day on Wednesday and climbed to Camp 1 and then on Thursday continued to Camp 2.
Ben called from Base Camp this morning and it was raining when we were talking. They are ready for a summit push, but they will use the next few bad weather days to rest and recuperate at Base Camp. The summit push will be 5 days, round trip. I don't know when that will start because it will be based on the weather but I know Ben is anxious and ready.
Please continue to pray for mental strength over the next few rest days, for wisdom on when to proceed and for favorable conditions on the mountain for the summit push. Thank you, Diana.
Tuesday, September 8, 2015
The Ups and Downs of High Altitude Climbing
We had a quick call from Ben this morning. Everything went well on the overnight trip to Camp 1. Wednesday is another rest day. These are the hardest days for him because of all the idle time. Thursday they will go to Camp 1 and stay overnight, and Friday they will go to Camp 2 and stay overnight. Saturday they will return to Base Camp. It feels like "one step forward, two steps back" to me but this is the way they acclimate. He sounds strong, so we are just praying he will continue to stay strong. Thank you all for your prayers.
Diana
Diana
Saturday, September 5, 2015
Ben's Weekend Plans
Thank everyone for the comments. I am able to make mention of them to Ben when we get a few minutes to chat.
He is feeling strong after the climb to Camp 1 today. Tomorrow they will have a rest day and the following day they will climb to Camp 1 and potentially sleep there. How does that compare to your weekend plans? I promised the kids we would try to go miniature golfing. Not nearly as exciting.
Diana
He is feeling strong after the climb to Camp 1 today. Tomorrow they will have a rest day and the following day they will climb to Camp 1 and potentially sleep there. How does that compare to your weekend plans? I promised the kids we would try to go miniature golfing. Not nearly as exciting.
Diana
Friday, September 4, 2015
Let the Climbing Begin
Yesterday the team climbed to 17,000 ft, which is about halfway to Camp 1 from Base Camp. Tomorrow they will climb to Camp 1 and return to Base Camp to sleep. For those new to climbing, this is how they acclimate to the altitude -climb high, sleep low.
Ben has been unable to send any pictures for me to include in his posts. It sounds like Ben is enjoying the time with the team. Please continue to pray for safety and good weather. Diana
Ben has been unable to send any pictures for me to include in his posts. It sounds like Ben is enjoying the time with the team. Please continue to pray for safety and good weather. Diana
Wednesday, September 2, 2015
Base Camp
We heard from Ben again this morning. He has arrived at Base Camp. He is 12 hours ahead of us in Denver, so he had just had Happy Hour and was getting ready for dinner. Filet Mignon was on the menu for tonight. I love the pictures of the food from previous trips. What those cooks can do at Base Camp is amazing! Based on the schedule he posted earlier, climbing should begin soon. Thanks for your prayers. Diana
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)
